You can search for volunteering opportunities by scrolling through the recent posts below. Or if you wish to filter by category you can click on the right-hand side categories and filter by skills and roles or by the types of group you might like to volunteer with. If you want to search for a specific word or phrase please use the search box at the right-hand side.
Visitors to Linlithgow will soon have a place to get information and directions thanks to the Linlithgow and Linlithgow Bridge Community Council. The group have recently been awarded £3500 from the Scottish Government’s Town Centre Fund to resurrect a Visitor Information Centre in the towns Burgh Halls.
The money, which was agreed at the Linlithgow ward Local Area Committee, will be used to pay for IT equipment, signage, and uniforms. Gordon Smith, Chair of the Community Council said “We are obviously delighted that we were able to secure this funding and provide a warm welcome to visitors to the town!”
The Community Council are now looking for local volunteers, with Gordon adding that “Training will be provided by Visit West Lothian and Visit Scotland and a smart uniform will be available. We think that this will appeal to local people who have a friendly personality and a desire to sell Linlithgow to our very many visitors from all over the world.”
Linlithgow has seen an increase in visitor numbers in recent time after filming for Outlander and Outlaw King, and this ‘set-jetting’ is predicted to continue.
If you feel you could be part of the team to begin this journey and help keep Linlithgow very firmly open and welcoming to our visitors please contact Gordon Smith Chair of the Community Council on 07769897865 or e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Could you use your skills and experience to help a local charity working to make Linlithgow a better place to live and work?
Linlithgow Community Development Trust is looking for new Directors to join our Board. We want to expand our Board with people who share our vision and are passionate about our local area and our community.
We are looking for local people to bring their own expertise and experience to join the Board of Directors, a group of committed volunteers passionate about continuing to strengthen the Trust as a pivotal community-led organisation in the town.
If you have the time to commit; can think strategically; are committed to the Linlithgow area and have expertise in any of the areas below, we would love to chat with you.
- Fundraising, third sector and government
- Legal/charity governance
- Project Management
- Policy and strategy
- Marketing & Digital
We are keen to increase our diversity to reflect the people which our charity serves –young and old, from the town and surrounding areas, and with a wide range of work or life experiences. We’re looking for someone who can spare 4 hours a month and can work effectively as part of a small team.
As a member of our Board of Directors you will:
- be part of an exciting, enterprising and innovative community-led organisation
- help to ensure that the Trust fulfils our charitable aim and vision.
- have the opportunity to give something back to your community and make a real difference locally
Our aim is to make Linlithgow a better place to live and work, through a community led plan of action which provides services, amenities and/or financial support to local initiatives.
Our vision is for a thriving community that is resilient, inclusive, enterprising and sustainable, capable of dealing with ongoing change.
We have several projects underway and would like to take on more. However, we need local people with drive and enthusiasm to help us to do this!
The principles that Linlithgow Community Development Trust work to are:
- To build a community that takes pride in, and manages, its local assets
- To capture and build community passion, enthusiasm, ideas and skills
- To ensure our work is financially and environmentally sustainable
- To work closely with local people and other local groups to strengthen our combined efforts
For an informal discussion to find out more contact email@example.com.
Neil & The Team at Oxfam Linlithgow would like you to join them and volunteer in our shop at 98 High Street, Linlithgow.
Volunteering is a great way to:
Use your skills & learn new ones, meet new people, Indulge a hobby, make a difference and have fun.
To find out more Tel 01506 671217 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Facebook: Oxfam Linlithgow
Linlithgow Chest Heart & Stroke Boutique Charity Shop is a great place to volunteer. We have a range of roles: Display & Merchandising Assistants, Shop Floor Assistants, Stockroom Assistants, Enhanced Volunteers & Admin Support.
Full Training in all aspects is provided along with Manual Manding and Gift Aid procedures.
We are open 7 days per week. 10am- 5pm Monday to Saturday. 11am – 5pm on Sundays. We have morning and afternoon shifts with flexible hours and days.
Pop into see us at Chest, Heart & Stroke 220 High Street Linlithgow to pick up an application form. For more information on working together – speak with Jill Hudson, Manager.
Role title: Treasurer, Reports to: The board
BACKGROUND: In 2017 Linlithgow Heritage Trust received grant funding from HLF, LEADER, West Lothian Council and other bodies to support its move from Annet House to the new Linlithgow Partnership Centre. This year will see the new Linlithgow Museum open. It promises to be an exciting time for the Museum as it becomes a central part of the local community. As we continue to move forward we are looking for trustees with a range of skills that will help the Museum develop and achieve it strategic goals.
Linlithgow Museum will be fitted out with a bespoke community space and three exhibition areas providing a fresh new interpretation of the town’s history.
Community participation will be at the heart of the museum. Local people and volunteers have already played an instrumental role in planning and beginning to deliver an ambitious Activity Plan of events and activities which will engage the local community with heritage.
Linlithgow Heritage Trust are seeking unpaid volunteer Trustees to join their board.
Trustees are expected to play a full part in the activities of Linlithgow Heritage Trust.
The role of the Board is to set the strategic framework for the organisation, monitor and evaluate the performance of the organisation, including financial performance; and ensure the highest standard of governance.
The Board meets at least six times per year. Trustees are also requested to participate in various sub committees, working groups, the Annual General meeting and ongoing training events as required.
Purpose of the role:
- To ensure the financial affairs of the organisation are conducted within legal requirements, accounting conventions and good practice
- ensure the financial viability and development of the organisation.
- ensure the board fulfils its financial responsibilities
- ensure proper systems for budgeting, financial control, insurance, and reporting
- keep board members informed about organisation’ finances by written report, at least on a quarterly basis
- communicate with relevant staff and other board members so as to maintain a clear picture of the financial health of the organisation
- ensure compliance with Inland Revenue and Customs and Excise (VAT) requirements as appropriate
- ensure financial reports are comprehensible and properly discussed
- ensure financial reports are provided in the proper format and at the proper time, as required by other bodies in law
- ensure the appointment of auditors or independent examiners
- provide a financial report to members on an annual basis.
Ensure financial viability and development of the organisation
- Ensure the board develops a long-term financial strategy for the organisation with objectives which can be monitored
- monitor progress in budget implementation
- ensure appropriate financial goals are set for the resources available to the organisation.
- a knowledge of financial accounting and reporting procedures
- ability to communicate financial information to those who may have little or no financial background
- hands-on book-keeping skills
- strategic financial planning skills
For further discussions and to find out more about registering interest please contact Shelia Menzies on secretary@LinlithgowHT.onmicrosoft.com
Do you want to contribute to making Linlithgow a more colourful, cleaner, more interesting and more beautiful place? Burgh Beautiful Linlithgow, an entirely voluntary organisation with no paid staff, is always on the look-out for public-spirited local residents to help us achieve our objectives. Here are some of our current opportunities:
- Gardening, whether as an individual, with friends or as part of a group – no prior experience required and training will be given as necessary. Currently, we particularly need help to sustain the Water Yett gardens (until now the devoted work of Eileen Murray), so some ‘green fingers’ may be a help there! We would also like someone willing to volunteer to work with Scouts, Guides and similar groups on gardening projects and also to help with the floral gardens around the Mill Road crossroads at Linlithgow Bridge.
- Public consultation – helping with forthcoming events to involve the public and schoolchildren in our new public art projects.
- General labouring work such as planting trees, cutting turf, helping at our Clarendon base, cleaning up the town prior to judges’ visits, litter picks, etc (much of this is group working).
- Preparatory work for visits by judges from Beautiful Scotland or Britain in Bloom, including help with listing improvements to be made, preparation of the judges’ portfolio, compilation of a ‘Powerpoint’ presentation on the wonders of Linlithgow, organisation of the judges’ route and those attending, and catering arrangements.
- Working with Local Businesses, particularly to encourage floral displays in the High Street.
- Fundraising and Publicity – we need help with the organisation of fund-raising events such as our Autumn Fair and our stall at the Advent Fayre – and new ideas for raising money! We would also like help with our website, social media activity and keeping our input to this website up to date!
- Working with Young People – we could do with one or more new members on our Youth Working Group, dealing with such matters as liaison with schools and children’s and young people’s voluntary organisations.
If you are at all interested in any of these volunteering opportunities, please do not hesitate to email us at mailto:email@example.com.
Do you have a few hours to spare? Interested in building skills, learning about Linlithgow and getting the new Museum up and running? We are looking for volunteers who can help develop and run our social media channels.
We currently run a Facebook (@LinlithgowMuseum) and Twitter (@LinlithgowH) but we are looking for people who can help add content regularly and come up with creative ideas on how we can attract more followers.
Volunteers will be given a mentor who will provide support and advice. We will also offer a reference to volunteers. The role might appeal to someone interested in learning about museums, social media or marketing. Linlithgow Museum is opening in the new Partnership Centre as part of an exciting. Volunteering with us is a chance to be part of this fantastic project that will bring the history of Linlithgow right to the town centre and result in a new museum being opened in 2019.
What skills are we looking for?
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Interest in museums and/or Linlithgow’s history
- Experience of using social media, particularly Facebook and/or Twitter
Does this sound like you? Then if you would like to find out more please contact enquiries@LinlithgowHT.onmicrosoft.com
The new Museum for Linlithgow is open and we need you help!
We are looking for volunteers who are able to regularly give us 2-3 hours of their work to be Welcome Hosts. This is incredibly important to the Museum as you will be the first person visitors meet. It is vital to ensure we can open and run all year. The role might appeal to someone interested in learning about museums, social media or marketing.
You don’t need any experience to join us and we will provide full training to you. In return you can expect the opportunity to:
- help develop and run activities in the Museum’s new community space
- learn new skills ranging from retail to collections management
- meet new people in a friendly environment
- AND plenty of tea and coffee!
Volunteers will be given a mentor who will provide support, advice and can also offer a reference in the future. You’ll meet new people, learn new skills and support our exciting new museum in the heart of the town.
To find out more please contact our Communities Co-ordinator Julia Branch at Julia@LinlithgowHT.onmicrosoft.com or 01506670067. https://www.linlithgowmuseum.org/help
Helping people in crisis begins at your local British Red Cross Linlithgow charity shop. Full of gifts, clothes and even the odd vintage gem, our 330 shops across the UK are home to over 6,500 volunteers and 700 paid staff. Our team is bright and bubbly, and we love meeting people from all walks of life. Our aim is to serve every customer with a smile, and to make sure everyone that visits us has a great experience. We’re always aware that every penny raised in our little shop goes straight to helping someone in crisis.
Our shop volunteers are the first point of contact for customers when they enter our shops. You will be a welcome greeting for all customers providing assistance and ultimately helping increase donations. You will provide invaluable help through the running of the shop, keeping it stocked and attractively displayed. You can get involved as much or as little as you like by: sorting out stock; putting your own stamp on the shop displays or getting trained in order to serve customers at the till.
Being part of a huge fundraising effort is very motivating, you provide the best service possible by representing the British Red Cross to the local community and raise as much money as possible for the organisation. You even get a 20% discount on donated goods. Find out more by reviewing our website.